Research - Colour Theory


Colour Theory

Colour conveys messages and can create a sense of emotion or mood to the target audience. Mood can vary depending on different colour combinations used.
Over time, people have done a lot of studies about colour which has produced the colour theory which is the understanding of how colours relate to one another and how we interpret them visually. Colours have lots of psychology associated with them which can make designs effective. I will need to understand how colours can be used together for when I start designing.
The colour wheel below shows the colours in relation to each other. The colour wheel usually includes 12 hues. A hue is a colour without it being darkened or lightened. The hues include the primary colours of red, blue and yellow; the secondary colours of orange, green and purple (made by mixing the primary colours); and the tertiary colours, made by combining primary and secondary colours in Adobe illustrator or photoshop. When these colours are used in combinations, different effects can be created which can affect the design.  The colour wheel below shows the colours in relation to one another.


I will need to know how to use and balance colour combinations. A lot of effective graphic designs will only include two or three colours. I think this is because too many can create confusion and can complicate the message. Colour can also have different meanings in different cultures, but I think this is something I do not need to worry about with my clients.

Colours should be chosen to deliver an enhanced aesthetic appeal and a better overall user experience. I think it will be important to consider the colour scheme for my client at the start of the design process as I can base the layout of my designs around this. The way that colours are combined can either add to the look and feel or detract from it.
Below is a list of colours which and the emotional response they usually produce.
·         White – Lightness, relaxation and security
·         Black- Rationality, stability and virility but it can also represent sorrow and hopelessness
·         Pink – Relaxation and tranquillity
·         Green- Happiness and peacefulness
·         Blue – Safety, happiness and creativity
·         Light blue- Comfort and spirituality
·         Dark blue & grey blue- Trust and sadness
·         Red- Energy, warmth, sensuality, mistakes, danger and failure
·         Light yellow- Optimism, hunger, spontaneity and cheerfulness
·         Bright yellow- Danger and irritability
·         Yellow green- Nausea
·         Purple- Sensitivity, security, introspection and prestige
·         Orange- Hunger, clarity and vitality
·         Brown- Positivity, vitality and relaxation

Monochromatic Scheme

Type of Colour Schemes

Monochromatic
The monochromatic scheme is based on the colours created from different tints (created by adding black or white to the original colour), tones, and shades of one hue.  It is the simplest of all the schemes. This colour scheme is used in minimal designs because one hue should result in a layout which is less distracting. This colour scheme also means you cannot use multiple colours to help with other information. I do not think I will be using this colour scheme for my clients brand. 

Analogous Colour Scheme

The analogous scheme is based on three colours located next to each other on the colour wheel (e.g., red, red-orange, and red-violet). This scheme can be found in nature such as trees in the autumn when the leaves change colour.
There is another form of the analogous colour scheme which is called the High Key analogous colour scheme.  This is created by mixing analogous shades with white. This version is commonly found in impressionist art. This is achieved where the colours seem to fade into one another when viewed from a distance. 



Complementary Schemes

Complementary colour schemes use one or more pairs of colours which when combined cancel each other out. For example, when you combine two colours, they produce white or black. This is also known as the opposite colour scheme.
When you put two complementary colours next to each other, they show the greatest contrast. Some pairs in this could scheme could be red/cyan, green/magenta, and blue/yellow.

Split-Complementary Scheme

This is a combination of using the complementary colour scheme and the analogous colour scheme. Complementary colours are chosen and then the colours on either side of them on the colour wheel are also used in the design. It is used to soften the impact of a complementary colour scheme which can sometimes be too bold or too harsh on the audience’s eyes.

Triadic

The triadic scheme is based on using three colours at equal distances from each other on the colour wheel. I have found out that the easiest way to find a triadic scheme is to put an equilateral triangle on the colour wheel so that each corner touches one colour. These schemes are vibrant which keeps the harmony but delivers a high level of contrast


Tetradic

Tetradic schemes make use of two sets of complementary pairs: four colours. These can create very interesting visual experiences, but they can be hard to create a layout with because one colour of a tetradic scheme needs to dominate the other colours without completely overwhelming them. An equal amount of each colour usually makes it less appealing to look at.


Contrast Between Text and Background Colours

When I come to create my designs, I will need to make sure I consider the contrast between text and background colours. This ensures legibility of the text, which is important to convey your business message effectively. The contrast should be presented between darkness and lightness of the colours.

When I choose the hues for text and background colours, I will need to make sure that I incorporate contrasting hues for greater legibility of text. This is because Increased contrast also helps in minimizing the strain on the eyes when reading. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research - Other Local Companies

Research - Local Competitors

Research - The History of Graphic Design