Research - Design Agency Interview


Design Agency


Mytton Williams Design agency

Last year as part of the CDME2008 module I was required to carry out an interview with a professional practitioner. I believe some of this practitioner’s advice might come in useful for my major project this year, so I want to include one of the questions I asked in this research as I feel it could help inspire me.
I sent an email to Andrew Woods who is a graphic designer for Mytton Williams Design Agency and this is a question I asked where he produced an answer. –
Question: What brands do you admire most, and do they influence your work? 

Answer: There is a lot of amazing branding out there and I think the most successful brands like, Amazon, Toyota, Samsung, Apple, and Ikea are Brands we should look up to in terms of how they advertise themselves through TV adverts, Social Media, and other forms of advertisement. I like to keep up to date with the big brands and it can be hard not to notice them most of the time as there is always some form of their advertisement around, wherever you look. 
I wouldn't say they directly influence my work, unless there is something special like a certain style colour theme or even web page effects.

Andrew’s response suggests he us in touch with the latest designs and trends in the industry. These are some big competitors which could potentially influence my designs. I feel like looking at these sorts of competitors could be quite influential as the colour schemes, typography and layout used could inspire a range of ideas which I could produce for my client. I think his response to the question I answered is quite reassuring as looking at the big corporations can influence new ideas. It will be interesting to see these companies forms of advertisement and how I think this is effective.




Clarks


Clarks required a complete identity redesign to complement the refurbishment of its 600 high street shop interiors, as well as ongoing marketing and advertising activity. Sensitivity was required to evolve the existing identity, which had been in use for many years. Working closely with the in-house team, we created a more sophisticated look that would work across all communications from literature and shop fascias to boxes, packaging and vehicles. Colour selections for the shoe care range reflected the new retail interiors and each product type was differentiated by its own individual colour. The new solutions were extremely well received for bringing consistency to all communications and modernising the company’s image.




An award-winning redesign for Clarks, the UK’s largest shoe manufacturer and retailer. The updated brand identity, applied across an extensive suite of materials, was recognised in 6 international awards and the shoe care range increased sales by 25%.What we did
  • Brand identity and guidelines
  • campaigns
  • print communications
  • livery
  • recruitment communications
  • packaging
  • signage.


    • Eight (Hotel)








    • jk



    • A new boutique hotel in Bath needed a name, identity and communication material. And it needed it all in just under 3 months. With close collaboration we delivered the new brand. After two months of trading they were operating at 90% occupancy and were selected in The Guardian’s Top 50 places to eat.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research - Other Local Companies

Research - Local Competitors

Research - The History of Graphic Design